Richardson Olmsted Campus Welcome Tour
Explore the past and be introduced to the genius of architect Henry Hobson Richardson, landscape architects Frederick LawOlmsted and Calvert Vaux, and mental health advocate Dr. Thomas Kirkbride, whose work collectively built the 140-year-old former state hospital facility.
The Richardson Olmsted Complex is one of the largest historic preservation projects in the nation, with Hotel Henry and the Buffalo Architecture Center opening in the three center buildings in 2017. An experienced docent will lead visitors through spaces untouched since the 1970s and give an orientation on sections of the Complex which have already been adaptively reused.
- Ages 12 and up. (Join our mailing list to be notified of youth programming in future seasons.)
- Photography is not allowed inside the historical buildings on this tour. For those interested in taking photographs, please check out our photography tours.
- Hard hats will be provided. It is imperative that you stay with the tour group in the designated areas – there are very unsafe areas within the Complex.
- For your safety, sturdy, closed-toe shoes are required. We reserve the right to turn away anyone without appropriate shoes. Under no condition will sandals or high heels be allowed.
- This tour requires the ability to walk for the full duration of the tour as well as climb multiple flights of stairs.
- You are strongly encouraged to bring bottled water as it can get warm inside the building in the summer.
- Please bring flashlights if possible!
- Tours are rain or shine.